Monday, December 12, 2011

Why Community? (Part 2)

I believe there is a better way than what we've been shown and what we've been told. I think it is possible to combine elements of our culture into community. This would make each community look different. But as long as each community maintained the mindset that each individual should have (I'm/we're not better than you/them...and in fact I/we love you/them) it seems like we could get along fine. Each individual could be plugged into a community of people who care...each community could be self-sustaining but also live next to other communities while also existing within a larger community or an umbrella community...we basically have this in certain forms now...the individual within the family (although that is becoming very differently defined) also individuals in work or school... the family/business/school within the town/city...state...country...world. But we have very different connections to each level. Some of us think very highly of ourselves, others not very highly at all. Some of us have school "spirit" or State (Texas?) Pride, or National Pride...but I don't know how many people I've met that had World Pride. Why is it so easy to be proud about things that separate us from other humans? I played football through college...I know how much fun it is to have school pride and to oppose another school. It's fun...exciting (especially when you win) we go nuts in fact! Because our love for a thing bonds us with other humans who love that thing...whatever that thing is. But how often does that create true community? Can we please stop loving THINGS? Will it upset you if I call it idolatry? Can we be honest with ourselves?

How many people are lonely and feel neglected? How many people feel their life is wandering, or even pointless? What are the things that really drive us as humans? Isn't it love? Hasn't it always been love? How many of you have done some CRAZY things for love? I know I have. I know some friends and family who have. I know God has/does/will continue doing. But I'm sick of this canned laughter version of love that we try to live with our independent/self-sufficient attitudes. I'm failing at life if I don't have a great job that pays for my own place, car, insurance, food, utilities, etc? That's how people have made ME feel. But who are we trying to kid? And I know that many of us have been disappointed when our job situation isn't epic...and we feel in this culture like maybe we don't have as much worth. But it's a lie. I am loved...you are loved. So can we please figure out a better way to actualize this love we all want and feel deep down in our souls? Help me please. If I'm "alone", let me know. If not, let's get together!

1 comment:

  1. You are not alone my friend. Too often we see community as a group of cookie cut humans doing the exact same thing the exact same way. Community is embracing differences to achieve a greater goal. Love. It is much easier to love if we have a common enemy. The opposing sports team, politicians, universities, bosses and the list goes on. This is not love though. Our common enemy is evil. Though we may think our boss is evil, he is only human as well. Camaraderie is only as good as it's foundation. Loving another and desiring them to live a better life should be the foundation. A better life does not mean better jobs or things. These are petty classifications we give ourselves to feel like we are worth while. A better life is feeling love and giving of love. For only love has depth and can last eternal

    ReplyDelete